August 31, 2021
Cooking with Cam: How to Make Profiteroles (Virtual)
Tuesday, August 31, 2021
6:00 PM - 7:00 PM
What happens when you make homemade cream puffs, stuff them with ice cream, and cover the whole thing in chocolate sauce? You get a wonderful summertime dessert known as profiteroles. In this class for adults, you’ll learn how to make the classic French pastry dough pate a choux and pipe it into mini cream puffs that serve as the base of this over-the-top dessert.
There are a limited number of kits available. Sign up here for a kit. The kit contains a piping bag and piping tip. See below for a list of other items needed.
Cam Zarcone teaches all sorts of cooking classes (many of them through the local grocery chain PCC) around greater Seattle to cooks of all ages and abilities. She also offers up all kinds of inspired cooking-with-kids projects in her Substack newsletter, Homeschool Culinary Arts (homeschoolculinary.substack.com). You can follow her on Instagram @hummingbirdculinary.
Recipe can be found here.
To make the profiteroles you will need:
- Pastry bag fitted with a plain coupler or a large plain metal piping tip. (Note: The free class kits offered by the Everett Public Library include these. If you don’t have them, the instructor will demonstrate how a plastic bag with a hole snipped out of one corner will work as a substitute.)
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Small containers for measuring out ingredients separately during prep
- Medium saucepan
- Baking sheet lined with parchment paper
- Wooden spoon or sturdy heat-proof spatula
- Small microwave-safe bowl for preparing chocolate sauce (or another saucepan for preparing it on the stovetop)
- Ruler (optional but helpful)
- Small ice-cream scoop or spoon
- Small serrated knife for slicing cooked, cooled cream puffs
For the cream puffs:
- 2 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
For the chocolate sauce:
- ¾ cup chocolate chips (your choice of semisweet or bittersweet)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ cup heavy cream