Our favorite resources for learning, creating, exploring, and having fun while staying home.
So many fun things from our creative community!
- One Everett coloring poster (PDF) from the City of Everett
- Northwest History coloring pages, from our very own library
- Boeing’s Future of Flight museum now has virtual experiences
- Little Science Lab video classes from Imagine Children’s Museum
- Alphabet coloring pages from Art of Rosemary (more letters on the way!)
- Schack Art Center virtual exhibit Home is Where the Art is
Arts & Crafts
- Seattle Symphony video series on Facebook, including Meet the Instrument, and Tiny Clips for Tiny Tots
- Virtual Teen Night art activities from the Schack Art Center
- Chrome Music Lab - Create music and learn how sounds, colors and science relate to music
- CreativeBug database, with video classes for all sorts of crafts
- Coloring pages from the Smithsonian
- Draw with Captain Underpants creator Dav Pilkey
- Draw with Pixar - Learn to draw the Disney way
- Frank Lloyd Wright Virtual Classroom offers a six week series of design lessons
- The Lion King Experience from Disney is an online course in musical theater
- Lunch Doodles from Elephant and Piggy author Mo Willems
Authors & Illustrators
- New: Jason Reynolds, the National Ambassador for Young People’s Literature, presents a series of writing workshops via video, aptly titled "Write, Right, Rite."
- Kwame Alexander
- Mac Barnett
- Kate DiCamillo
- Dan Gutman
- Oliver Jeffers
- Grace Lin
- Kate Messner & Friends
- Debbie Ridpath Ohi
- Christine Platt
- Peter H Reynolds
- Dan Santat
- Bob Shea
- Keri Smith
- Monique Gray Smith
Literacy & Learning
- United for Literacy offers online, read-along picture books with more than 40 choices of language for the narration
- Learning at Home lesson plans from Schack Art Center
- Arcademics - language arts and math games
- Beanstalk - Preschool learning themes and activities you can do at home (requires free user account)
- FunBrain - Develop skills in math, reading, problem-solving and literacy (some content is not free)
- TumbleBook Library - Picture books, read-along chapter books, graphic novels, non-fiction books; in English, Spanish, and French
- Teen BookCloud - TumbleBook collection of titles for middle school and high school students
- Vroom - Brain Building Moments for parents of children 5 and under
- Wonderopolis - Innovative programs, strategies, and resources that support learning, literacy, and family engagement in education
Zoos & Aquariums
- Cincinnati Zoo – Home of Fiona the Hippo. Go on a Home Safari!
- Dallas Zoo – Animal videos, printable activities, and lessons from zoologists
- Monterey Bay Aquarium – Live camera feeds of animals, and Learning at Home resources
- National Zoo – Animal webcams and a printable activity packet for K-5 students
- San Diego Zoo KIDS – Learn from zoo staff through videos, games, and activities
- Seattle Aquarium – Printable activity sheets and coloring pages, virtual tours and live streaming webcams
- Shedd Aquarium – Underwater webcams and printable activity packets for K-12 students
- Woodland Park Zoo brings the Zoo To You with printable activity books
Museums Near & Far
- National Museum of African American History & Culture launched a new web portal, Talking about Race
- Seattle’s MOHAI (Museum of History and Industry) - History at Home resources
- American Museum of Natural History – learn about science through games, stories, hands-on activities, and videos
- Flying Heritage & Combat Armor Museum - An in-depth history curriculum for grades 7 and up, from a popular Everett museum
- Metropolitan Museum of Art presents MetKids – Discover artifacts by travelling through history, and enjoy videos made for kids by kids.
- Seattle Art Museum - Stay Home with SAM and experience art wherever you are
- Learn with Smithsonian – Activities and games inspired by the incredible offerings of our National Museums
Spanish / Sitios web educativos para niños
- American Academy of Pediatrics- Trabajando y aprendiendo en casa durante el brote del COVID-19
- Dora la exploradora - Explorar el mundo de Dora o mirar el programa
- El Mundo Divertido de Peep- Las series animadas de El Mundo Divertido de Peep dan alas a la innovadora idea de enseñar ciencias a los pre-escolares.
- NASA Ciencia- Aprender todo sobre la ciencia de NASA.
- Sésamo - Jugar con los caracteres del universo de Sésamo
- Pocoyo - Explorar los juegos, los videos y los coloreables del programa Pocoyo
- Juegos Infantiles - Jugar para aprender de las matemáticas, las ciencias, y mas
- Daniel Tigre en espanol - Mirar videos del programa Daniel Tigre
- Aventuras con los Kratt - Mirar videos del programa Aventuras con los Kratt
S. T. E. M. (Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math)
- OMSI (Oregon Museum of Science and Industry) - Science at Home online workshops and activities
- Architecture From Home - Print, cut, and fold your way to designing a paper city
- Do Try This At Home! from the Lemelson Center for the Study of Invention and Innovation
- America’s Test Kitchen KiDS - Discover kid-
tested recipes, cooking experiments, & videos that will excite young chefs
- Code - Computer programming, from building block lessons for preschoolers to complex coding projects for advanced programmers
- NASA Kids’ Club - Latest images, videos and news from America’s space agency
- National Geographic Kids - Amazing facts about animals, science, history, and geography, along with fun competitions and games
- Scratch - Developed by college students at MIT, free computer programming platform to create interactive stories, games, and animations
- TumbleMath -Math stories featuring animation, narration and sound to create a compelling and enticing reading experience
- Everett Public Library Stories Online - Regularly updated playlist on YouTube
- Storytime with President and Mrs. Obama, reading The Word Collector, by Peter Reynolds
- Harper KIDS from Home - HarperCollins Publishers presents read-alouds and activities every day at 9a.m. Pacfic Time
- KidLit TV - Videos centered on stories and literacy
- Penguin Kids - Follow this publisher on Facebook to enjoy story videos and activities
- Save With Stories - YouTube playlist of celebrities reading books out loud
- Storyline Online - Stories read by Screen Actors Guild members
- Story Time from Space - Astronauts reading stories from aboard a space station!
- Tàta Storytime - Actors read adapted folk stories from Africa & the Caribbean.
News & Current Events
- Talking with Young Children (0-5) about Race, from the Association for Library Services to Children (ALSC), a division of the American Library Association.
- Using K-3 Picture Books to Talk About Race & Racism With Children, from the not-for-profit organization Diverse Book Finder, a resource to "Identify & explore multicultural picture books."
- American Academy of Pediatrics article, Working and Learning from Home During the COVID-19 Outbreak. Click on "LISTEN" for a text-to-speech audio version.
- Caring for Each Other - Support from Sesame Street during COVID-19
- Coronavirus: A Book for Children. Download an informational picture book, free.
- Just For Kids: A Comic Exploring The New Coronavirus - From NPR’s global health and development blog, Goats and Soda.
- News Literacy Project - Helps educators and journalists give middle school and high school students skills to discern fact from fiction
- Tips to Help Teens Cope During COIVD-19, by the National Council for Behavioral Health
- Washington State Library COVID-19 Response - Master list of information and resources for librarians, teachers, parents, and older students.